Tuesday 13 August 2024

macOS window management kind of sucks a bit

So a couple of weeks in with the macBook, and most things are just working for what I need them to do. A big thing that I’ve gotten used to on the Windows side of things that macOS just doesn’t do is how it handles window management. 

In Windows if you drag a window to the left or right it’s possible to snap it so that it covers the left of right half of the screen, there’s other options but that makes putting things in a place where they can be easily accessed really quick. It’s great for when you are wiring something but need some reference material on the side to be digging through. 

macOS just ignores it like it’s 1999. 

I’ve seen some notes on 3rd party applications that apparently address this, but I’m not super keen in tossing in lots of 3rd party tools if I can avoid it. 

Apparently this is something that Apple’s got stuff in place for in the macOS 15 beta, but again, daily driver system, not too interested in running beta software on my daily driver.


No comments:

Post a Comment