Saturday 3 August 2024

Battery life and chargers.

So after having the MacBook Pro in hand for a week the one thing that I really have noticed is that the battery life on the darn thing is impressive.

On my windows devices, regardless of if I'm actually working with the device, the batteries on the laptops wind up running down and becoming dead within a few days. Generally if I don't have the laptop sitting hooked up to a charger for more than a weekend it's going to be a complete dead brick by the time that I go to make use of the dammed thing again. 

Due to this I've simply gotten used to hauling around the power brick for whatever laptop I've been using in my bag almost anywhere that I go. It's not been a huge issue in the last couple of years since the laptops that I have been working with have switched over to USB-C for power since the laptop charger would handle the laptop, battery pack, and anything else that might take power from a USB-C connection. I still need either adapters for Apple's lightning, Micro USB, and a couple of oddball things, but I always have a way to put power to the laptop.

The MacBook Pro however has been running all week and I don't think that I've seen the thing under 50% battery all week and I haven't been being super conscientious about making sure that it's connected to power. Granted It's not being run as a daily driver all day long, but it's still a new toy so there's a bunch of things that I would normally have done on my desktop have been being picked up on the laptop instead. 

Since I was worried about the battery life I have picked up a compact travel charger that I can use to keep the batteries on all my devices topped up. These new GAN based chargers are about half the size of the one that shipped with either of my laptops, so they take a lot less space in the bag. They are just as heavy as the larger ones though - and with multiple ports I can charge up the Laptop and the Phone at the same time if push comes to shove.

The specific one that I've grabbed is this one;

I've had some good results with Ugreen's stuff over the last couple of years for cables, and this seems pretty well reviewed.




No comments:

Post a Comment