Saturday 27 July 2024

Chromebooks, and why they are not a option for almost anything that I do.

While looking into laptops I have thought about running a Chrome OS device. However I've ruled them out for a couple of reasons, however most don't relate to the OS that they run.

The common theme of all the Chrome OS devices that I have worked with over the years is that they are all cheaply built devices that feel like they are about to fall apart as soon as I start using them. And yes, I know that there are more premium devices floating around that would address the build quality issues on the ones that I have worked on the pricing of those better quality devices makes them cost as much as a full freight laptop from a fairly major vendor. 

And that negates a huge reason to go Chromebook, since the real hook for them, at least for me, is that they are cheap.

I don't run enough machines to make any of the management stuff on them attractive, and the limitations in having a device that only works on web based application is something that I could overlook on something that's a sub 400$ CAD device. But once you get up above that there are a number of options, both refurbished and new, that start to become far more flexible in what they can do and what my options are in using them. 

And yes, I do know that I can run android apps on the things, at least on most of them, but there's a lot of stuff that I do that really does not have a android app to work off of.

But again, the deal breaker is the general quality of the devices running Chrome OS.




No comments:

Post a Comment